Thursday 15 March 2018

Introducing Aiden GD Moore

135 artists are taking part in "Inside Job" which takes place on the 7th and 8th of April on Level 6 of Tate Modern. Over the next few weeks The Rebel Magazine will be chatting to some of the Tate staff who are showing their artwork. Today it's the turn of Aiden GD Moore...
Q) Where did you grow up and what kind of education did you receive? "I grew up in Surrey, UK. I studied illustration at the University of Hertfordshire with study abroad in Japan, where I did a huge range from oil painting to book binding to the language, culture and history. It has had a huge influence on my work. Prior to that I did foundation Art & Design at college and A-levels before that."
Q) How long have you been working at the Tate and what's the best show you've seen there? "I’ve been working at Tate for almost two years now! The best show I’ve seen so far, in my opinion, was the Wifredo Lam exhibition from last year; really gorgeous and unique work."
Q) What can you tell me about the work you're exhibiting in the Tate Modern show? "Bunny is a two-page autobiographical comic that follows a trans-masc identifying character, Bunny, who loves to wear feminine things. It was originally created for Boston Comics Roundtable as a segment in their latest queer comics anthology, Being True, but it’s ended up being a really meaningful piece of work on a personal scale. I don’t often explore my identity in such an open and public way, so it was a self-imposed challenge. I wanted it to reach out to people who’ve gone through similar struggles with gender identity vs presentation and be a comfort, knowing that there’s others out there who feel the same."
Q) How can people find out more about your work - do you have a website or do Instagram? My website is https://aidengdmoore.com which is a collection of my completed works. I use Instagram and twitter daily(@aidengdmoore) for in the moment shots of my work, videos of my progress and sneak previews of upcoming projects. Q) Is there anything you have to declare / do you have a favourite quote, thought or joke you'd care to share? “Finish what you start.” I tell myself this before being every project (Anyone who follows me online knows I’m always working on 3+ projects at any given time, so…. I have to remind myself not to not fling the net too wide)
"Inside Job": An exhibition of art by Tate Staff will take place on Level 6 of the Blavatnik Building of Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern

No comments:

Post a Comment