Tuesday 26 October 2010

Q & A with Seb Patane

Seb Patane is represented by http://www.maureenpaley.com/
Below: 'Self Portrait as Found Peacock', 2010
courtesy the artist and China Art Objects Galleries, Los Angeles.
1) What are you working on at the moment and how's it going?
My upcoming show at China Art Objects Galleries in Los Angeles which opens in January. Going alright, I think. They've just moved into a new big space and I won't get a chance to see it before I go to install and that makes me a bit nervous cos I always try to make work to suit the space is gonna be shown in, but it'll be ok I think, I've seen lots of pictures.
2) What was the last art show you saw that excited and inspired you?
“Zola Jesus live at Southstreet Seaport, New York, July 2010.”
3) What is your favourite item of clothing?
uh? ok well, I guess my trustworthy leather jacket. Somehwre in my subconscious I think I still see myself  as being a member of bands like Suicide or DAF or The Velvet Underground and now that I'm getting older, the leather jacket is almost the last signifier left of that grand delusion.
4) Which part of London makes you the most happy?
Anywhere by the Thames. For example the mime artists around Southbank rarely fail to cheer me up. Most of my friends hate them though. I have very cynical friends.
5) Tell us about your collaborations with Giancarlo Trimarchi.
It's kind of perfect, but tricky at the same time. He understands me completely, sometimes when we're working we don't even have to talk, I think we're developing some sort of telepathy. He's incredible with computer music and sound production, but is always traveling around Italy so it's hard to catch him. From time to time he comes to London and stays for a week with me to work on some tracks, but the process is so condensed and intense that by the end of it we just feel like killing each other.
6) Who is the best artist Maureen Paley represents (please give reasons)
“That's cheeky, I can't possibly answer that! Well I have a few favorites for different reasons. I'm happy she's recently taken on Stephen Prina. I think he's very interesting, and has a beautiful voice.”
7) What brings out the Italian in you?
“Pizza. For sure, I can't help that, it's in my DNA. Big cliche' I know, bring it on. But I'm not a fussy eater at all, in fact I can't stand food snobbery; I'd eat anything. For example although I love good coffee I also drink soluble ones, I haven't got a problem with that.
8) Do you agree with Abba that "the history book on the shelf is always repeating itself?"
Who's Abba?
9) Are there certain times of day that you tend to do your best work?
“I guess during the day, on those rare occasions when it's bright and sunny. I need daylight otherwise I can't really see what I'm doing. I haven't managed to artificially replicate  the light of a nice sunny day in my studio, but then again if I would I'd probably win a prize or something.”
10) Are you scared the government will slash art funding?
Well, it will. I can't anticipate what the effects will be yet but I wouldn't say I'm 'scared', no. We'll all come up with ways of coping, I'm sure, I mean we'll have to get on with it. But I did sign the anti-cuts petition, a gesture dictated by guilt I think, somehow.
11) What's the best thing someone has said about your work?
Someone once wrote my installations were 'horribly creepy', which are so not, but it really amused me for the day. Someone else also said they saw me as some sort of occult alchemic sorcerer or something like that, that was also fun.
12) What are your ambitions?
To own the two friendliest cats in the world and to become a brilliant rollerskater. My cynical friends think rollerskating is lame so I'm always on my own. I'm starting to think I don't like my friends very much.
13) If Seb Patane was a flovour of ice cream what would he taste like?
Bay leaves and crushed chilli with a hint of citronella.
14) Can you swim and do you like being in the water?
“Of course I can swim man, and I love being in water, although I hate water up my nose so my swimming technique can be a bit dorky. I love swimming pools. Ah yes! sorry, another ambition of mine, to have my own swimming pool, with adjustable water temperature and a retractable roof. Sadly, it'll never happen.”
15) Yeats once observed, "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." Do you go along with this belief / which group do you fall into?
“I prefer Einsturzende Neubauten's quote, 'Confusion is sexy'.”

No comments:

Post a Comment